Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lessons from a Sarcastic Bulb

Call me a heretic with a warped sense of humor, but The Onion, a satirical "newspaper", continues to both amuse me and teach me important lessons on my journey. Although the newspaper is actually quite hostile to American Evangelicalism in general, I am again and again impressed by what I am able to learn from my "enemies." Those who set themselves against some person, cause, or belief system are most likely to spot any weaknesses, inconsistencies, or shortcomings. And so it is with The Onion. In its many attempts to mock Christianity, I have been confronted with many instances of unChrist-like behavior and attitudes in my own life and in the American Christian community at large. Obviously its jabs at Christianity are not all true, but none the less, they hold many lessons for those with eyes to see. So, enough of my babble...without further adieu, here are some of my favorite examples:

Poverty-Stricken Africans Receive Desperately Needed Bibles

Christ Kills Two, Injures Seven In Abortion-Clinic Attack

Important Christmas Lessons Already Forgotten

Area Pastor Likes To Inject A Little Humor Into His Sermons

Christian Right Lobbies To Overturn Second Law Of Thermodynamics

Christian Weightlifter Bends Iron Bar To Show Power Of God's Love

NFL Star Thanks Jesus After Successful Double Homicide

1 comment:

mg said...

And one of my favorites....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50097?issue=4227&special=1996