Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Swift Kick in the Pants

I consider myself parr of the theologically Reformed circle (I believe in all five doctrines of grace, covenant theology, etc.), and as such, I sometimes need a good kick in the pants. Peter Leithart provides just such a kick for me now...

"One of my recurring frustrations with recent debates in the Reformed world is a widespread failure of theological imagination. Too many seem to operate on the assumption that we have everything already figured out; we have all possible categories and positions ready to hand. All we need do is deploy these categories on whatever happens our way. It'll fit, Procrustes says.

Thus, it is seriously proposed that someone is either on the road to Rome or the Road to Geneva - with no possibility of a third (or fourth, or fifth) destination, with no possibility that there might be something in between (though in between is where much of the Christian world lives). And if I suggest that we Reformed might still have something to learn from the Bible about justification, then I must be Rabbinic or Roman Catholic - there simply is no other alternative. "

I realize that I have opperated this way often in my spiritual formation and development. Yet, despite all that we know (and, by the grace of God, we know many things) we do not yet know all things. We have a lot yet to repent of and a lot yet to learn. Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: