Saturday, September 16, 2006

A fair trade?

Well, I had intended to camp out here in Lander, Wyoming for a few nights before the WMI started, but there is quite a bit of snow on the ground and I don't have a four season tent. So, I decided to stay here at the Maverick Motel ($35 cinderblock room with 1970s carpet and decor). Now, the dictionary definition of maverick is "an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party." Apparently my "Maverick" motel isn't going along with paint, sanitation, or the three decades since the 70s. I like to think of myself as pretty low maintenance so I din't think that was a big deal until...

I had just gotten out of the shower and was standing nude in the room staring at the TV wondering why Texas A&M wasn't beating the red, white, and blue out of Army when quicker than you can say "Touchdown!" I heard a key go into the lock and a strange man walked into my room with me wearing my birthday suit. Instead of retreating quickly he said, "Is this your room?" I don't know exactly what I said, but somehow I communicated that I believed that it was indeed my room. He then said, "Well, she gave me the key to this room." Again, I don't remember exactly what I said, but he relinquished his claim on the room and went back to the office. I sat on the bed feeling very violated.

A few minutes later nice "Mrs Bonnie" called the room and apoligized for giving a another man the key to the room, and said I could have a meal at the motel's resturant for free. I said "Thank You" and hung up the phone. I have spent the time since then trying to decide if it was worth letting a strange man have a full frontal to get a free meal at the Maverick Cafe. I still haven't decided. They might have good buffalo burgers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while. When you regain your dignity, you should leave the man a note at the front desk thanking him for the free meal. And I was actually worried about you camping out! Maybe it is safer in the woods.
I Love You,
Mom