Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Read Dead People

I read dead people, especially as it relates to following Jesus, faith, and theology. Reading dead people takes me to a place intellectually, sensually, and emotionally that is almost impossible to find or understand in today's politically correct and emotionally restrained society with all its rush and distractions. Of course there is a place for reading contemporary thought on following Jesus, but I have often found it to be watered down at best. There are a few shining examples (John Piper, JI Packer, Dallas Willard, Don Miller), but in general the "Christian writing" of our day is often lacluster or even downright unhelpful. I find reading dead people really gets my fire going when the wood is wet (if you know what I mean). It has been a source of much joy, inspiration, and renewal for me through my journey. We have many things to learn from the great men of our past, and I commend them to you. Here are a few of my favorites:

Saint Augustine
Charles Spurgeon
John Owen
Martin Luther
Jonathan Edwards
John Calvin
Thomas A' Kempis
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Hudson Taylor (biography)
Adoniram Judson (biography)
William Carrey

Enjoy, and I wish you well on your journey. May these great saints of old aid you along the way.

No comments: