Thursday, October 04, 2007

In the Shadow of the Matterhorn

Guten Tag,

Jenny and I have made it to Switzerland safe and sound, but not without a few adventures along the way. We left Rome on Tuesday morning by train headed for St. Moritz, Switzerland, but because of a missed train in Milan and getting off one stop too early in the boondocks of northern Italy, we ended up staying in Tirano, Italy for the night...which ended up being more of a blessing than a curse. It was a beautiful little mountain village, as well as the best dinner, breakfast, and hotel that we had during our time in Italy.

The next morning we headed for Zermat, Switzerland by train again, and after another eight hour day on the rails, we made it here to Zermat yesterdaz evening around 7:30 in the evening. We are going to stay here in the shadow of the Matterhorn for a few days in a very quaint little eco-friendly hospitality house and do some hiking and exploring of the Matterhorn region.

Traveling by train in the most amazing form of locomotion that I have experiened in my short, but very good, life. It is especially nice when that train spends all of its time in the Swiss Alps. I think, for the rest of my life, I will take the train if I am able.

Jenny and I are very much enjoying the trip, and one another, and I feel as in love and alive as I ever have. She is a delight to me, and is an absolutely wonderful companion.

I am reading a wonderful book on the Reformation right now and it has brought a whole new diminsion to my time in Rome and here in Switzerland, which was the headquarters of much of the mainstream Reformation in Western Europe. Devotional and prayer time has been sweet for each of us. Pray that it would continue to be so. Pray also for continued safety, and that God would be our treasure above all things...even each other.

Auf Wiedersehen,
The Ballards

No comments: