Monday, September 17, 2007

Poverty and Terrorism

African Anglican Archbishop and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Desmond Tutu weighs in on terrorism and peacemaking:

"The global "war on terror" can't be won if people are living in "desperate" conditions. You can never win a war against terror as long as there are conditions in the world that make people desperate -- poverty, disease, ignorance, et cetera...I think people are beginning to realize that you can't have pockets of prosperity in one part of the world and huge deserts of poverty and deprivation and think that you can have a stable and secure world."

1 comment:

Samuel Adams said...

That's right on. I'm finally reading The End of Poverty and that's a big point ol' Jeff Sachs makes. I heartily agree.

You guys are beautiful. I'm thinking of y'all much as I try to figure out what it means for me to live meaningfully here in Rwanda.

I've told a few girls about the trek from PNG to India and South Dakota '05: Operation Make the Jenny Feel Better, and they were absolutely stunned. It makes me even more proud to know you.